Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation Linksprofessional-education


Professional Education in Social Work


Employers and the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) recognize the Bachelor degree (BA, BSW) in social work as the first professional degree.  Graduate degrees include the Master of Social Work (MSW) and the Doctorate (DSW or PhD).

The bachelor’s degree prepares you for entry-level positions in roles such as case manager, advocate, and service and program coordinator, whereas the master’s degree is for clinical practice, social policy and planning , and administration. A DSW or PhD is useful for doing  research or teaching at the college level.