Peer Mentor Program
Student Multicultural Activities (SMA)
Slavin Center 106c
Purpose: This is a volunteer leadership opportunity to give oversight, plan meetings and activities, facilitate discussions, and provide accountability for peer mentors for first year students as part of the SMA Peer Mentor Program.
- Share your experience and knowledge to support peer mentors.
- Learn leadership skills that will strengthen your portfolio as an upper class student.
- Discover the value of mentorship for your current life as a student and for your future vocation.
- Be mentored by the director of SMA.
- Enjoy building new relationships with co-leaders, mentees and other mentors.
- Leave a legacy of friendship and a strong foundation for future Friars at Providence College.
- Attend the orientation meeting date/time TBD.
- Plan a bi-weekly mentors meeting on Wednesdays 7-8pm. This will be a time for connection, follow-up, and training, e.g. OAS, Counseling, Dean for Freshmen, etc.
- Plan the once per month off campus activity with mentors for the group.
- Email, text or send FB message to mentors once/month to check-in.
- Email, text or send FB messages to mentees once/month to check-in.
- Give feedback about the program to the Director of SMA.
- Full-time, matriculated student in the fall semester with a flexible co-curricular schedule.
- In good disciplinary and academic standing (min GPA: 2.5)
- Knowledge of the college’s resources and locations for academics, student services as well as social programs.
- Take initiative in responding to questions and concerns by mentees.
- Familiar with campus buildings and locations of offices.
- Involved with formal or informal leadership on campus.
- Attended events organized by student organizations, student life and academic departments.
- Has a positive attitude, is open, flexible and motivated.
- Willing to learn and listen and intentional and consistent in communication.
- Enthusiastic about the college and its commitment to diversity.
- Commitment to follow-through.