Navigate Up
Sign In



​                   CAEL-logo.jpg


applybutton.png requestinfobutton.png


School of Continuing Education
Harkins Hall, Room 109
Phone: 401-865-2487
Fax: 401-865-1723

Transfer Credit at Providence College

Transfer Credit from other Schools

SCE is transfer-friendly!  If you've earned college credits from an accredited college or university — no matter how long ago — SCE lets you apply up to: 75 credits toward a bachelor's degree; 36 credits toward an associate's degree; and 3 credits toward a certificate.

An adviser will help you determine how many credits you can transfer to SCE — and how to obtain your transcripts.
To request transfer credit:

  • Review your program’s requirements in the SCE Catalog.
  • Match the courses you have completed at other institutions to SCE program requirements. Every program has room for some “free electives,” where transfer credits can often fit.
  • If you decide to apply to SCE, order official transcripts from each institution you attended -- use this handy Transcript Request Form​. Only courses with grades of C or higher are transferable. 
  • You must complete at least half of the courses required for your major at Providence College 

Transfer Agreements with Community Colleges

SCE has​ transfer agreements with area community colleges that ease the way for students who have earned an associate's degree to transfer to SCE and earn their bachelor’s degree.
​Quinsigamond Community College (QCC)

Prior Learning Credit


  • Adult students often obtain substantial knowledge outside the classroom -- through work experience, volunteering, military service, job training, reading and travel.
  • Earn credit for what you've already learned through “Learning Counts,” a program of the Council on Adult Experiential Learning (CAEL).
  • To learn more, visit

Take a Test


The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests are both nationally recognized testing programs that allow you to demonstrate college-level learning in certain subjects. Credit is awarded for pre-approved tests in which you achieve the minimum score or higher. These credits are​ part of your overall transfer credit package.

Local CLEP test centers include the Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI) campuses in Warwick, Lincoln, and Newport; the University of Rhode Island – Providence Feinstein campus; and Johnson & Wales University. PC's code is 3693. For more information, see College Level Examination Program. The DSST is offered at CCRI’s Warwick campus. For more information, see DSST for civilians or DSST for military servicemembers.

UExcel® Credit-by-Examination is another testing program offered at the Pearson Professional Centers, Warwick, RI. Learn more at

Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations are another way you may able to earn college credit. Students who obtain a score of 4 or 5 will typically be awarded equivalent credit for coursework at Providence College. For more information, visit College Board AP Program.

Credit for Military and Professional Training


The American Council on Education (ACE) evaluates and awards credit for training programs offered by the military, employers, government agencies, professional associations and more.  To see if your training qualifies for college credit, visit the ACE National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training or Military Transfer Guide.

Additional information for servicemembers and their families can be found here.​

Pin it
Catholic and Dominican

What does it mean to be a Catholic and Dominican college? We invite you to explore this question and the distinctive mission of Providence College.
About Providence College's Catholic and Dominican Identity