Are you new to online learning?
The School of Continuing Education (SCE) offers several courses online through Sakai, our Learning Managment System (LMS) (see below for instructions on accessing Sakai). Online courses are just as rigorous as on-campus courses, and offer you the convenience of "attending" class from home. Since you are not physically going to class, you should expect to devote extra time each week toward your assignments; to do a lot of reading and writing; and to work independently. SCE offers courses completely online, and those that are hybrid or blended, requiring students to attend a few on-campus meetings during the semester or term.
Before you get started:
Online students must have basic word-processing and email skills, and a computer with Internet access. To check your
computer skills you’ll need, take our Basic Online Skills Review
Is your computer up to speed? Your computer should meet the following minimum requirements:
- High speed Internet access from home as well as office
- Windows - XP/Vista/7, using a current version of Internet Explorer (8.x or 9.x) or Firefox 3.x or higher
- Mac Operating System - OS 10.5.x (Leopard), 10.6.x (Snow Leopard), or 10.7.x (Lion) using Safari or Firefox
- Test your computer and browser
Software: You’ll need current versions of Microsoft Office – at least Office 2007 (PC) or Office 2008 (Mac). If you are using Office 2003 (PC), you can open ".docx" files with the free compatibility pack from Microsoft.
Are you ready for Online Learning? Take our quick Distance Learning Quiz to find out.
To access your online course:
Online classes begin on the first day of the semester. Access your course before the semester begins.
Log onto Sakai with your PC network username and password. Your network username and password are the same ones you use to access the campus wireless network and the computers on campus.
- For help accessing Sakai, click here.
- Once you log in, click on My Sites in the upper right corner to view your courses. Click a course title to enter that course.
- If you've forgotten your network username or password, please contact the PC Help Desk at 401-865-4357 or email@example.com. Library staff will also be able to help you.
- For all other help with Sakai, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online writing help:
The Writing Center sponsors "The Write Site," which allows you to electronically submit essays up to seven double-spaced pages in length and receive written feedback from a tutor within 48 hours. The Write Site also offers an array of resources for writers, such as research style guides and grammar tips, as well as information regarding plagiarism, writer's block, the writing process, and responding to student writing.