Christopher Arroyo, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Philosophy
Office: Siena Hall 111
Office Hours (Fall 2012):
- Ph.D. in philosophy (February 2007), Fordham University
Dissertation: Kant and Husserl on Moral Obligation and Emotion (Director: John J. Drummond)
- M.Phil. in philosophy (May 2004), Fordham University
- M.A. in philosophy (February 2002), Fordham University
- B.A. in philosophy and psychology (May 1999), Saint John’s University
Areas of Specialization:
- Kant’s moral philosophy; practical/applied ethics (especially as it related to Catholic ethics)
Areas of Competency:
- History of philosophy (especially 16th-18th century); moral phenomenology
- Associate Professor of Philosophy, Providence College, July 2010-present
- Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Providence College, Fall 2007-July 2010
- Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Dominican College, Fall 2006-Spring 2007
Academic Awards and Fellowships
- Early Career Scholar Award at the Annual Meeting for the Association for Practical and
- Professional Ethics (APPE) for “Same-sex Marriage, Homosexual Desire, and the Capacity to Love,” March 2011.
- Ford Foundation Dissertation Diversity Fellowship, 2005-2006.
- DAAD Graduate Research Grant, Husserl Archives, University of Köln, Fall 2005.
Courses Taught at Providence College:
- HON 201, 202: Honors Development of Western Civilization
- HON 302: Honors Studies in Ethics
- DWC 201, 202: Development of Western Civilization II
- “Aquinas and Contemporary Approaches to the Problem of Evil,” Independent Study
- “Ethics in Education,” Independent Study
- PHL 103: Introduction to Philosophy
- PHL 202: General Ethics
- PHL 304: Current Problems in Ethics
- PHL 360: Early Modern Philosophy
- PHL 422: Contemporary Existentialism
Works in Progress
- Kantian Ethics and Same-sex Marriage, book manuscript in preparation for Springer Press.
- “Kant on the Emotion of Love,” under review.
- “Kant on Moral Obligation: A Reply to Anscombe,” being revised for submission.
- “Aquinas, Petitionary Prayer, and Active Euthanasia,” in progress.
- “Same-Sex Marriage, ‘Homosexual Desire,’ and the Capacity to Love,” International Journal of Applied Philosophy, Vol. 25, no. 2 (Fall 2011): pp. 171-186.
- “Freedom and the Source of Value: Korsgaard and Wood on Kant’s Formula of Humanity,” Metaphilosophy Vol 42 no. 4 (2011): pp. 353-359.
- “The Role of Feelings in Husserl’s Ethics,” Idealistic Studies, vol. 39 issue 1-3 (2009): pp. 11-22.
- “Humean and Kantian Influences in Husserl’s Ethics,” Philosophy Today, Volume 50 (Supplement 2006): 57-74.
- “Unselfish Salvation: Levinas, Kierkegaard, and the Place of Self-fulfillment in Ethics,” Faith and Philosophy, 22.2 (2005): 160-172.