Choosing a Rental Agreement
WHEN CHOOSING A RENTAL FACILITY, WHAT ARE THE IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS?
Make a realistic budget and stay within it as you search. Rents tend to depend on:
- size of apartment
- condition of the apartment
- location relative to campus,
- which utilities are included
- Remember to include all utilities in your budget if they are not included in the rent.
- There is a six-hour parking ban in Providence between 1:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. Hence, provisions should be made for obtaining a parking space. If parking is available from the landlord, it must be written into the lease.
- Your choice of housemates is very important in determining whether or not your living situation will be a comfortable and relaxing one. Discuss lifestyles, habits, and expectations thoroughly before deciding to form a household. Clearly define what responsibilities will be incurred if one party decides to move out before the term of the lease is up. Most important, be honest about what you can and cannot live with in terms of cleaning, cooking, noise, guests, etc.
The following checklist may help you to determine whether or not a particular apartment is acceptable to you. Note the condition of each area and any necessary repairs.
- Living room?
- Bathroom with tub? Shower?
- Number of bedrooms?
- Kitchen with stove? Refrigerator?
- Work or study space?
- Storage space?
- Yard or porch?
- Screens and Storm Windows?
- Sidewalks and steps in good repair?
- Who is responsible for snow removal ?
- Walls, ceilings, and floors in sound condition?Windows and doors open and close easily?Insulation?
- Leaking faucets?
- Sinks, tub, shower drain properly?
- Toilets flush properly?
- Adequate water pressure?
- Storm windows?
- Age of heating system?
- Cost per year?
- Heat in each room?
- Consistent provision of hot and cold water?
- Pests kept under control?
- Regular garbage collection?
- No peeling paint or plaster?
- Adequate ventilation?
- At least two exits?
- Fire escapes in good repair?
- Wiring: modem, adequate?
- Stairways and halls clear, well-lit?
- Concealed pipes?
- Appliances in good working order?
- Smoke detectors?
- Sufficient locks on outside doors and windows?
- Deadbolt lock on apartment or house door?