STEP 1: Determine your Benefits
You may be eligible for more than one of the programs below. For help in determining which application you should submit, contact the VA office at 888-442-4551. If you do not want to apply for your educational benefits online, ask for an application to be mailed to you.
STEP 2: Determine your Tuition Reimbursement
STEP 3: Activate your Benefits
Complete the following steps:
- Have the following information available: your DD214(s) form and have your bank routing number (if you want to setup direct deposit for payment).
- Apply for benefits through the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP): select “I am a new VONAPP user,” then “Create new VONAPP account.”
- Select the application from the dropdown menu: VA Form 22-1990 -- Education Benefits. Enter your information.
- Print a copy of your completed application and write down your confirmation number.
You should receive your “Certificate of Eligibility” (COE) indicating your entitlement, within 4-10 weeks. You can still register at PC while waiting for your COE.
STEP 4: Apply for Admission and Financial Aid
Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS)
Community College of the Air Force Transcript Request Forms (CCAR)
Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)
US Coast Guard Transcripts
DSST scores (if applicable)
Have your transcripts sent to the appropriate admissions office at:
1 Cunningham Square
Providence, RI 02918-0001
STEP 5: Enrollment and Certification of Benefits
- Bring a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to Providence College’s VA Certifying Official in Enrollment Services, Harkins Hall, 310
- After you receive your Certificate of Eligibility and your attendance at Providence College has been confirmed, your VA Certifying Official will confirm your enrollment with the VA.
- At least 30 days prior to the start of your first term, notify your VA Certifying Official and your Providence College Certifying Official, that you will be using your VA educational benefits.
STEP 6: Extend Benefits or Change Programs
- If you have used VA education benefits at another institution, complete VA22-1995 to indicate the change in schools.
- If you elect to convert to the Post-9/11 GI Bill in lieu of your previous benefits program, you can apply using the VA22-1990.
STEP 7: Verification and Payment Process
Depending on which VA program you qualify for, your benefits may be paid either directly to you or to Providence College.
You may be required to verify your attendance with the VA at the end of each month.
- Chapter 33 and Chapter 35 are not required to verify their monthly attendance.
- Chapters 30, 1606, 1607 must verify their attendance every month, Chapters 30, 1606, 1607 (does not apply to Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits). Monthly verification can be completed online through WAVE or by phone at 877-823-2378.
- Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 pay tuition and fees up front.
- Chapter 33 (Post 911 GI Bill) must notify the school of their Chapter 33 status. They will only bill you if you have a percentage that needs to be covered.
IMPORTANT: Contact PC's VA Certifying Official immediately if there are any changes in your enrollment status, including adding courses, dropping courses, withdrawing or receiving incomplete grades so you will not incur personal charges.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the enrollment or verification process, please contact one of our VA Certifying Officials: Donna Barricelli 401-865-2367 email@example.com
or Donna Cairo 401-865-2982 firstname.lastname@example.org
You are also welcome to visit us in the Office of Enrollment Services Harkins Hall Room 310 1 Cunningham Square Providence, RI 02918