Approved SCE 2013 Spring Courses
Dear Juniors and Seniors-
SCE (School of Continuing Education) course registration for Spring 2013 is approaching. As many of you know, you are permitted to take one SCE course each semester as part of your full-time course load of five. This is an elective option only. You are not required to include an SCE course in your spring schedule.
Please understand that registration in SCE courses is very limited, typically only 5 seats are available per course for day school (UG) students. It is especially competitive to register for a core requirement. Please take note of the risk of dropping a day school (i.e., “U” in CyberFriar) course from your current spring schedule hoping to register for an SCE course: if you are not successful in registering for the SCE course, there is a high probability that you will not regain your seat in the day course that you dropped, so be careful!
I have outlined the registration process below, detailing important dates, times and procedures. Good luck and please do not hesitate to contact the Dean’s Office, if you require further assistance.
(Fr.) Mark D. Nowel, O.P., Ph.D.
Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies
Seniors: November 19 12:00AM
Juniors: November 20 9:00AM
1. APPROVED COURSE LIST: The approved course list is posted below and will tell you whether we accept the SCE course in the day school and how it will be applied to your program of study (core; major; elective). If you see a course in CyberFriar that is NOT on the approved list, you CANNOT take this course. You are responsible for ensuring that the course that you register for will count toward your degree requirements.
2. ALT PIN: You must register in CyberFriar using the “ALT PIN” that was issued to you for spring registration. If you do not remember your ALT PIN, contact Enrollment Services at 401.865.1033.
3. CRN (Course Registration Number): You will register in CyberFriar using the CRNs found on the approved course list. SCE courses that are approved for (UG) day students have the designation of “U” in the section area. Example: NSC 113 U01. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO REGISTER WITH THE “CRN” RESERVED FOR SCE STUDENTS, YOU WILL BE BLOCKED FROM REGISTRATION.
4. 1 SCE COURSE PER SEMESTER: Please do NOT register for more than 1 SCE course, because the Dean’s Office will remove you from the 2nd course.
5. COURSE OVERLOAD - 6th Course: If you are planning to take an SCE course as an overload, meaning a 6th course, understand that you must seek the approval of your class dean in advance of registration. SCE registration for a 6th course is done in-person, not in CyberFriar. You will be charged the current SCE tuition rate for a 3-credit course ($915) – online courses ($985). Payment is required at the time of registration.
6. OVER-ENROLLMENT: If the course is closed, you may request permission to over-enroll by completing the SCE over-enrollment form found on the SCE website. This form is to be submitted to the School of Continuing Education in Harkins 109. Decisions regarding over-enrollment will not be made until the first week of classes. Thus, the closed SCE course should be your “plan B,” and seniors in particular, should make every attempt to find day school courses rather than take a chance with SCE over-enrollment.