Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation Linksgraduate-school

Graduate or Professional School​

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Research programs

Review websites and informational booklets from interested schools. The Peterson's Guides are also a great resource, and available in the Office of Career Services. 

Consult with your Faculty Advisor about the programs you are interested in

Your official graduate and professional school advisor is your Academic Advisor. Ideally, the consultation process should start in junior year or sooner. However, the process can start at any time, including senior year.

Prepare for and take the required admissions test

Be sure you choose a date early enough to adhere to the graduate school's application deadline that you are applying to.

Prepare materials that are required when applying to the schools you have chosen

Many schools require essays, letters of recommendation and transcripts.

Send in your applications

Be sure you know the deadline for the graduate school program that you are applying to!​


If you haven't heard from the graduate school after two or three weeks, call the admissions office to verify that your application materials have been received.

Admissions Exams

The leading national test prep services are  Kaplan and  Princeton Review​.

Financial Aid, Fellowships & Assistantships

Financial Aid

Call the graduate school that you are interested in to receive information. In most cases the application deadline for Financial Aid is in advance of the general application deadline.​


Fellowships exempt you from tuition and provide a modest income in addition. Information on Fellowships, if available, can be obtained from each program.​

Teaching or Research Assistantships 

Assistantships typically exempt you from tuition and also grant you a modest income in return for part-time work as a Teaching Assistant or a Research Assistant.

Resident Assistantships   

Resident Assistantships in most cases exempt you from tuition, pay you a modest income, and provide you with campus housing in return for working as a Resident Assistant in an undergraduate residence hall.

Special Fellowships

Highly competitive national and international Fellowships (such as the Fulbright, Rhodes , Truman, etc.) require that you be nominated by the school’s advisor for those fellowships.​

​​​​​Summer Office Hours:

Monday-Thursday: 8:30am-4:30pm
Friday: 8:30am-2:00pm
View Additional Office Information​​​​