Sign In

Where Can I Go for Help on Campus?

Need help adjusting to life at Providence College? Need help in some of your classes?  Need to talk to someone other than a friend, roommate or a professor?  Here are some of the places you can get help on campus. 

  1. Office of Academic Services (O.A.S.) -  Are college classes harder than you thought?  Are you wondering how you are going to survive even one more semester of DWC?  The O.A.S. offers a number of services to help PC students:
    1. The Tutorial Center - offers peer tutoring in many subjects, including DWC, Math, Accounting, Economics and the sciences, from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. during the week (8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Fridays and 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Sundays). (401) 865-2855
    2. The Writing Center - offers writing tutoring to assist with all stages of the writing process. The Writing Center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. during the week (8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Fridays) and 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Sundays. (401) 865-1286
    3. Academic Skills/Workshops -  are available on a variety of topics, including time management, learning strategies, test taking, and success in DWC.  (401) 865-2679
    4. O.A.S. Staff Members - are available to discuss a wide range  of academic problems and work toward solutions. (401) 865-2494
  2. Departmental Tutoring - Many departments, including Math and Accounting, hire  their upper-level majors to tutor students in lower-level classes.  Students can walk-in, on a first come, first-serve basis. 
  3. Feinstein Media Lab - Open until 10:00 p.m. during the week and during limited hours on weekends, this third floor department allows students to listen to taped DWC lectures. This is also where many foreign language students watch and listen to required video and audiotapes.  Call the lab for exact times, especially if you will be visiting over the weekend or during a holiday. (401) 865-2116
  4. The Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies (“The Dean’s Office”) - When it comes to academic questions and concerns, this office is a great resource.  The Dean of your class will be able to offer you suggestions about how best to finish your course of studies, help you add or drop a class, or register for summer classes.  The secretaries for all five deans (including the Director of the Undeclared Program) can be reached at (401) 865-2495 or found in Harkins 213.  Just a note: to declare a major or minor, go to the Office of Enrollment Services, not the Dean's Office.
  5. Your Faculty Advisor - While you may think that advisors are helpful only during class registration, think again.  Many advisors are willing to meet with their advisees to talk about a range of different topics, even those not pertaining to academics.  If your advisor cannot help you, chances are, he or she knows who can.
  6. The Career Education Center-  If you are an undeclared student and would like some help deciding which major is right for you, this office is able to provide a number of resources to help you choose.  Different computer programs and tests can help you decide which major is best for you.  The career counselors are also great when the time comes to write a resume, prepare for an interview, or find an internship or summer job (no matter what year you are, they are always willing to help).  Career Services is located in Slavin 111 or call (401) 865-2305.
  7. Your Resident Assistant - While your R.A. will be most helpful when it comes to roommate and residence hall issues, he or she is also available to talk about adjustment issues and give a student’s perspective about different aspects of the College.  RA’s also know of a variety of campus resources if you need additional help.  In case you cannot meet with your RA, contact your hall director or another member of the Residence Life Staff in Slavin Center, or by calling (401) 865-2392.
  8. Personal Counseling Center -  The counselors are available to talk about a wide range of issues,  from adjustment issues, eating disorders, and stress management, to family problems and substance abuse.  Located in Bedford Hall, the Personal Counseling Center is a great place to find someone to talk to, but it is recommended that you make an appointment first. (401) 865- 2343
  9. Members of the Dominican Community - Many students have developed relationships with members of the Dominican Community and find them to be very approachable and willing to help.  To speak with someone in the Chaplain’s Office, stop by the office on the first floor of St. Dominic's Chapel or call (401) 865-2216.
Catholic and Dominican

What does it mean to be a Catholic and Dominican college? We invite you to explore this question and the distinctive mission of Providence College.
About Providence College's Catholic and Dominican Identity