New Faculty, Students to be Welcomed at Convocation
Providence College will welcome 27 new, full-time faculty and more than 1,000 freshmen and transfer students at its Academic Convocation on Tuesday, September 4, at 3 p.m. in the Peterson Recreation Center. Classes for the 2012-13 academic year also begin that day.
The convocation, which helps mark the start of the academic year, will include a blessing to new faculty and students by College President Brian J. Shanley, O.P. ’80.
Featuring a new format, convocation will focus on themes and topics related to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, the book chosen for this year’s Freshman Common Reading Program. Dr. Charles R. Toth, associate professor of biology, will speak about “How Henrietta Lacks Changed Science and Society.”
The new professors include Rev. James G. Sabak, O.F.M., the first Franciscan to join the full-time faculty. Father Sabak, assistant professor of theology, was formerly a senior teaching fellow at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.
The School of Business, which was awarded accreditation during the summer by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, has a new dean, Dr. Sylvia Maxfield, professor of management. Maxfield, who has been on campus since August 1, was formerly director of the MBA and Principled Leadership programs at Simmons College and holds a Ph.D. in political economy from Harvard University.
The School of Business has added five instructors: Dr. Sonia Gantman, assistant professor of accountancy; Dr. Tim Noparumpa, assistant professor of management; Dr. Scott A. Wright, assistant professor of marketing; Dr. John J. Schibler, assistant professor of management; and Beth L.A. Hamilton and Janet M. Letourneau, both adjunct instructors in marketing.
Other new, full-time professors, by teaching discipline, are:
• Art and Art History: John A. Fazzino, adjunct assistant professor
• Biology: Dr. Sarah Perdue, adjunct assistant professor
• Chemistry: Dr. Seann P. Mulcahy, assistant professor
• Computer Science: Dr. Adam H. Villa, assistant professor
• Education: Dr. Anthony M. Rodriguez, assistant professor
• Engineering-Physics-Systems: Dr. Dennis W. Garvey, adjunct assistant professor
• English: P. Dzvinia Orlowsky, adjunct assistant professor
• Foreign Language Studies: Dr. Louissa Taha Abdelghany, adjunct assistant professor
• Global Studies: Dr. Eric M. Hartman, adjunct assistant professor
• History: Dr. Robin J. Greene, assistant professor
• Military Science: Lt. Col. Kevin R. Kugel, professor, and Major Michael P. Moricas, assistant professor
• Philosophy: Dr. Anthony K. Jensen, associate professor, and Dr. Jeffrey L. Nicholas, assistant professor
• Political Science: Dr. Matthew P. Guardino, assistant professor
• Psychology: Dr. Eliane M. Boucher, assistant professor
• Sociology: Dr. Abigail T. Brooks, assistant professor and director of the Women’s Studies Program
• Theatre, Dance, and Film: Renina Flores, assistant professor
• Theology: Dr. Daria E. Spezzano, assistant professor
Read more about what's happening at the College at PC News.