Beyond the Classroom
As an elementary/special education major, you’ll be encouraged to extend your learning beyond the classroom walls through a number of engaged learning opportunities that will allow you to apply your knowledge to real-world challenges.
These opportunities include:
- connecting with children through community service and service-learning activities at culturally and linguistically diverse schools and community centers
- participating in field experiences beginning in freshman year to serve and interact with children in a variety of schools and classrooms across Rhode Island
- studying abroad at our partner teacher education universities in Florence, Italy; Belfast, Northern Ireland; or Managua, Nicaragua
- engaging in student-teaching in elementary and special education classrooms
- joining PC chapters of Best Buddies and the Council for Exceptional Children to promote understanding and friendships with children with disabilities
- qualifying for membership in Alpha Upsilon Alpha, the Honor Society of the International Reading Association, as well as in Kappa Delta Pi, the International Honor Society in Education.